While the convenient functions of the Honda key fob are designed to make your life a little easier, the Honda key battery will wear out over time and have to be replaced. When it comes time to change the battery in your Honda key fob, you can always stop by the parts center and have one of reps replace it for you. However, it is relatively simple to change the Honda key fob battery on your own. This guide from our parts experts will walk you through the Honda key fob battery replacement process. If you would ultimately like one of the professionals to perform a Honda key fob battery replacement, schedule a visit with one service near your home.
Choosing the Right Honda Key Fob Battery
Your new Honda car, truck, or SUV comes with a key fob that uses a flat, circular 3-volt battery, which can be found at most hardware stores. You can also pick up a Honda key battery replacement at the Metro Honda parts center in Jersey City. Now that you know how to choose the right Honda key battery, let’s take a look at how to replace it.
Opening Your Honda Key Fob
To change the battery in your Honda key, you’ll need to open the fob. The process is pretty straightforward and can be performed in a matter of minutes. Here is how you open the fob:
- Find the button that releases the metal key inside the fob.
- Slide the button open, and pull out the key.
- Place the metal key into the slot at the top of the fob.
- Wedge the key to pry off the back of the fob.
Honda Key Battery Replacement
Let’s go over how to change a Honda key battery, but first, if you own a Honda Odyssey key and want to learn how to replace it, read our article here. Now, follow these steps to change the battery in a Honda key:
- Press and slide the button that releases the metal key, and then slide the key out.
- Use the key or a small flathead screwdriver to gently pry the key fob open.
- Press your thumb down right above the battery to hold the fob together so the contents and external buttons don’t fall out.
- Remove the battery while taking note of the positive and negative sides in order to install the new battery correctly. Don’t touch the terminals on the new battery, as the oils on your skin can cause corrosion, which shortens battery life.
- Insert the new battery in the same position as the old one. Use the positive (+) and negative (-) marks inside the key as a guide.
- Align the two halves of the key fob and gently apply pressure until they snap back together.
If your Honda key has a screw that holds the two halves together instead of a button, use a small flathead screwdriver to remove the screw, and then follow the steps above to replace the battery. Now that you know how to change the battery in a Honda key, the only thing left to do is reprogram it and make sure it’s working.
How to Program the Honda Key Fob
Now that you know how to change a Honda battery, reprogramming it is easy. The following steps show how to program a Honda key:
- Enter the vehicle, make sure all the doors are shut, and have your key and the fobs to be programmed ready.
- Insert the key and turn to the “On” position. Then, press and hold the “LOCK” button on the Honda key fob for one second.
- Release the button and turn the key to the “Off” position. Repeat this process twice more.
- Turn the key to the “On” position and hold the “LOCK” button on the key fob for one second. Wait for the doors to lock and unlock automatically. Once the locks have cycled, your vehicle will be in remote programming mode.
- Once again hold the “LOCK” button on the key fob for one second. After the locks cycle, the key fob will be paired with your vehicle. Repeat the process with any additional fobs that need programming.
- Exit remote programming mode by turning the key to the “Off” position in the ignition.
- That’s how to program a Honda key. Now that your Honda key fob is back to working condition, you’ll be able to drive around Newark with the convenience of remote start capabilities.
Get a New Honda Key Fob Battery Today
Whether you are looking for a Honda key battery replacement or are interested in finding genuine Honda accessories to customize your ride, you can ask for help in your local repair store. Make sure to take a look at parts specials to find some of the best deals on a Honda key battery replacements and more!