With the key fob that comes with your new Honda car, truck, or SUV you can conveniently lock and unlock your car doors, remotely start the engine, activate memory seat settings, and more. In this Life Hack Honda Key Fob Battery Replacement Guide, we’ll walk you through the steps so you can get back to enjoying all the features and functions you’ve come to rely on.
Choosing the Right Honda Key Fob Battery
Your Honda key fob uses a flat, circular 3-volt battery which can be found at just about any hardware store near your home.
Life Hack Honda Key Fob Battery Replacement
Ready to find out how to change a Honda key fob battery? The following steps will show how to open a Honda key fob, how to remove/replace the battery, and how to put the key fob back together.
- Press and slide the button that releases the metal key, and then slide the key out.
- Use the key or a small flathead screwdriver to gently pry the key fob open.
- Press your thumb down right above the battery to hold the fob together so the contents and external buttons don’t fall out.
- Remove the dead battery, taking note of the positive and negative sides in order to install the new battery correctly. Don’t touch the terminals on the new battery. The oils on your skin can cause corrosion, which shortens battery life.
- Insert the new battery in the same position as the old one. Use the positive (+) and negative (-) marks inside the key fob as a guide.
- Align the two halves of the key fob and gently apply pressure until they snap back together.
If your Honda key fob has a screw that holds the two halves together instead of a button, use a small flathead screwdriver to remove the screw, and then follow the steps above to replace the battery.
How To Reprogram Your Honda Key Fob
Do I have to reprogram my key fob after battery replacement? Not always and very rarely in the case of a genuine key fob. But with aftermarket parts, it is a gamble.
But fortunately, you can reprogram most of the Honda key fobs yourself. The bad news is that the latest model cars need special software and equipment to reprogram the remote.
Here is everything we know about every type of Honda key, Honda Key Fob Remote Batteries and How to Replace Them.
- Gather all Honda key fobs for your car. Even though you are programming one, the vehicle will forget the rest.
- Get in your car; lock all the doors and windows.
- Turn the key to the ON position but not to ignition.
- Within 5 seconds, press the lock button on your key fob for just a second.
- Move the key to the OFF position.
- Repeat steps 3, 4, and 5 two more times within 5 seconds of each other.
- On the fourth and final attempt, repeat steps 3 and 4 but not 5. You should hear a sound similar to the door locking, which indicates that you have reprogrammed the key fob.
- For the additional remote, press the lock button once, and you have about five seconds.
- Turn off the car and test all your remotes.
- You have successfully reprogrammed all your remotes.
Becoming familiar with all of the dash lights that are displayed on your Honda key fob is important. You never know when one of them will flash, requiring your immediate attention. Thankfully, the key lights flashing indicate that your key is either recognized or that it needs to have its batteries replaced. Learning how to accomplish this will prepare you better as a driver and get you back on the road much faster. Drive safely!