If your honda key fob battery flashing red, this means that the key fob is on low battery.
If the red LED on your fob maintains for 4 seconds, this means that there is an error locating the locks when you are attempting to lock/unlock. You may wish to check if the locks have been paired to your fob, or check if your locks are not out of batteries. If they are both on healthy battery levels, try to move closer to the lock or remove any obstruction between the key fob and the locks.
What Does the Honda Key Fob Battery Flashing Red?
The red key warning light means there is a security error code. This light illuminates when the vehicle control modules see the ignition turned with a key that is not programmed to the vehicle or when there is an error within the security protocol of the vehicle’s security system.
Should you notice a red flashing light on your dashboard, it usually indicates that there is an issue that requires your immediate attention. The key symbol that is flashing red on your dash is no exception. This means that there is a problem that needs to be addressed.
The red flashing key light indicates that the Odyssey’s computer is not recognizing the key fob. Without computer recognition, the Odyssey will not start.
Replace the Batteries
In the vast majority of cases, all this means is that your key fob has a dead battery. Batteries can be quickly and easily changed, getting you back on the road in no time.
- Locate the knob on the backside of your Odyssey key fob
- Press this knob to release the metal key
- Pry open the key fob with the metal key, or use a flathead screwdriver to separate the two parts of the key fob
- Locate the battery, and then carefully remove it
- Replace the battery with a fresh one
- Reassemble the key fob
It’s best to keep at least one fresh battery on hand for your key fob. You never know when your battery is about to die, and being stuck without an immediate replacement can cost you a lot of time. This can be especially inconvenient if you are in a hurry to get somewhere, only to find out that you need to replace something as simple as a key fob battery.
Common Reasons for This To Happen
- Faulty key
- Dead key fob battery
- Faulty key antennae
- Faulty control module
- Electrical interference
Can I Drive with the Red Key Warning Light On? (Can I drive in Fail-Safe Mode?)
In most cases, the vehicle will not start when the red key warning light is illuminated. It will have to be towed to a repair facility capable of programming and servicing the security system of your specific vehicle.
How do I fix a red key warning light?
- Replace the key fob battery
- If the concern persists, you will have to tow the vehicle to a repair facility capable of servicing your vehicle’s security system.
- Another option is to have a mobile key programmer to come to you and service the vehicle.
Frequently Asked Questions
What causes the red key warning light to come on?
- In some cases, this can be caused by aftermarket keys being programmed to the vehicle. They don’t always retain the memory the way a dealership key will.
My car wouldn’t start and the red key warning light was on but now it does, what’s wrong?
- In some cases, if there is a loose connection in the system it can cause an intermittent failure. Check the physical appearance of your keys. If the keys show signs of damage or wear they may need to be replaced.
How can I replace the battery for any type of Honda key fob?
- To learn about it, read our other article here.